The City of Irondale is committed to providing vibrant parks, blue ways and green spaces to promote healthy recreation and leisure for our citizens and visitors. Our open spaces improve the quality of life for our citizens and preserve some of our most precious natural resources.
The Irondale Parks and Recreation Department under the leadership of Park Supervisor, Donna Newsome is responsible for the overall maintenance and beautification of all Irondale parks and numerous green spaces.
The Irondale Park Committee works with the Irondale Parks and Recreation Department to develop strategic plans and programming initiatives for Irondale parks. The park committee is chaired by, Irondale City Councilor, John London and consists of citizens appointed by the Irondale City Council.
A brief description of some Irondale Parks and Green Spaces are listed below:
- Ruffner Park – Ruffner Park (located on Ruffner Road) features; (5) baseball fields, a concession stand and a small playground. Ruffner Park is home to all of Irondale’s Youth baseball teams. Ruffner Park also provides free parking for convenient access to Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserves’s Irondale Trail Head.
- Beacon Park – Beacon Park is Irondale’s largest park located off Beacon Drive, behind the Irondale Senior Activity Center. Nestled on top of a ridge overlooking Ruffner Mountain, it’s a perfect location for parties, picnics and is home of the Annual Irondale Jazz in the Park concert. Beacon Park features; (2) large covered gazebos, a walking track, recently renovated children’s playground and huge green spaces.
- Irondale Dog Park – The Irondale Dog Park (located on Beacon Drive) is one of Irondale’s newest parks and is a dog lover’s paradise. The dog park features; large play area for medium and large dogs, small fenced in area for small dogs and plenty seating spaces.
- Grants Mill Cahaba Riverwalk – This popular Irondale Park offers some of the most beautiful access points to the famous Cahaba River. Located off Grants Mill Road, the Cahaba Riverwalk features; (2) canoe launches, 3/4 mile riverwalk along the Cahaba River, picnic areas and several great fishing spots.
- Popular Green Spaces – Triangle Park ( Montevallo Rd.), Irondale Walking Track ( 16th St.), Rock Ridge Community Green Space (Rock Ridge Drive) and Roebuck Plaza Community Green Space (Ventura Drive).
Irondale’s Parks and greenspaces will play a vital role in the overall future growth of the City of Irondale. A key initiative of the recently adopted Irondale On The Move comprehensive plan, is to develop a new Master Plan for Irondale’s parks and green spaces. This plan will allow Irondale citizens and businesses the opportunity to provide input on the future vision for Irondale’s parks and green spaces. More details on the Master Plan for Irondale Parks will be available soon.
We encourage you to get out and enjoy one of Irondale’s beautiful parks and many green spaces !!