Vehicles may be towed by the Irondale Police Department for several reasons:
- You are arrested and taken to jail;
- You were driving without a valid driver’s license;
- Your vehicle had evidence related to a crime;
- Your vehicle was abandoned, blocking traffic or causing a hazard; or
- You were transported from the scene of a traffic crash or medical incident for treatment.
Vehicle Release Procedures
- Vehicle owners must come to the Irondale Police Department to obtain a vehicle release. Releases are completed 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- An impounded vehicle will only be released to the registered owner of the vehicle. The registered owner is considered to be the person who is registered as being the owner according to State of Alabama vehicle records such as the vehicle title or vehicle registration. Ownership must be verified by one of the following: title, application for title, tag receipt, and/or bill of sale.
- Picture identification must be presented to verify identity of vehicle owner. Any of the following documents are acceptable: Driver’s license from any U.S. state or territory, ID card from any U.S. state or territory, U.S. passport, U.S. military ID, AST-60 form, U.S. Certificate of Naturalization, U.S. permanent resident card, U.S. employment authorization card, foreign driver’s license, foreign passport, or consular ID card.
- At the time of release, the legal registered owner must provide a valid and current driver’s license.
- Current and valid driver’s license from any U.S. state or territory.
- AST-60 Form if arrested for DUI (provided at time of arrest).
- If the legal registered owner has no driver’s license, an expired license, a suspended license, a revoked license, or a cancelled license, he/she must have a driver, with a valid license, accompany them to the police department to obtain the vehicle release. Only a licensed driver will be allowed to drive the towed vehicle away from the impound lot.